Monday, April 13, 2009

THREE-QUARTERS GREAT...IS STILL REAL GOOD !

"It's only a movie Sparky," was actor Robin Williams' response to the criticism, the 1988 movie, "THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST" received. This criticism by religious leaders encouraged bans and protests due to the content of the film...specifically the doubts Christ had in his last years as an ordinary man.

The net result of the furor this controversy caused, led to a greater worldwide awareness (advertisement) than the movie producers could have ever imagined. Whether the studio heads planned or counted-on this manipulation is uncertain but the strategy in the name of religion backfired.

I believe this phenomena is about to repeat itself...and what better day to discuss it...than Easter Monday.

On May 15, 2009, the movie "ANGELS AND DEMONS" is opening. Based on the Dan Brown novel of the same name, it is the prequel to "THE DA VINCI CODE." Tom Hanks will reprise his role as Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon and lead the chase for the "MacGuffin." (A MacGuffin was a term Alfred Hitchcock made-up to identify the item being pursued in a movie...or book). "Angels" chase takes us to the heart of Catholicism...Rome...more precisely, the Vatican.

THE "ANGELS AND DEMONS" LOGO IS THE SAME UPSIDE DOWN AS RIGHT SIDE UP. YOU'LL FIND THIS TYPE OF PRINT TO BE A RECURRING CLUE IN THE FILM.

"Angels and Demons" has faced several delays since its originally proposed opening in 2006. One obstacle was the inability to get municipal approval to film near the Vatican. However, the biggest delay was caused by a Hollywood writers' strike. So the church has had plenty of time to rally its forces to denounce this film. Now at crunch time, a Vatican newspaper has suggested a global boycott but another newspaper in Turin, LA ESTAMPA fears that such condemnations bring about the boomerang-effect and ultimately provides more interest and popularity to the movie.
"THE DA VINCI CODE" INCLUDED STREET SCENES IN PARIS. NOT TO BE OUT DONE, "ANGELS AND DEMONS" CHARACTERS TRAIPSE THROUGH ROME.

I loved reading the "Da Vinci Code" and despite the movie's less than favorable reviews...my son Andrew and I seemingly stood alone with Roger Ebert...and loved the movie too.
A few years ago, at the suggestion of MSLEMMA, I read "Angels and Demons," and loved it. I have a bad habit of checking the number pages a book has and then measuring my progress to the end by calculating how much is left. Well, I admit noting the amount of pages in the beginning but I flew through "Angels" like no other book I can remember. I was enjoying it so much that I hoped it would NEVER end. Then around three-quarters of the way through...everything changed.

Like any movie or book, its success is based on the concept that people like ourselves aren't interesting...unless they are faced with incredible circumstances and rise up to do amazing things. Therefore, the people being portrayed doing these extraordinary things...in reality...are NOT people like us.

Alfred Hitchcock liked to take it one step further and put his extraordinary characters in such perilous situations that while watching the movie the audience would have to ask itself; is that possible? Then afterwards while rehashing the plot the individual would realize; it was impossible but when it mattered...the action was accepted and the movie-going experience was a positive one.

ALFRED HITCHCOCK WAS THE KING OF THE IMPROBABLE...BUT I THINK THE 'MacGUFFIN' AND OTHER ELEMENTS IN "ANGELS AND DEMONS" WOULD MAKE HIM ROLL-OVER IN HIS GRAVE.

I believe that concept of; is it possible? was intended in "Angels and Demons." The exception here is, I didn't accept it immediately and despite my appreciation for Dan Brown or any author's wide range of imagination...my reading bubble of joy was burst by my perception of the ridiculous.

I will not sabotage the plot. In fact my curiosity has been overwhelming me for the last three years in anticipation of the premiere. I just can't wait to see if the movie is as riveting as the book, (at least the first three-quarters). Then Sparky, I will see how they treat the unlikely set of events (the last quarter) that has the Vatican so up in a tizzy over.

Have a HAPPY EASTER and when May 15th rolls around, my son Andrew and I will see you on the movie line.

No comments: